Nars Belle De Jour Lipstick
Nars Belle De Jour Lipstick ($24) was one of my older favorites that has been sadly neglected in exchange for new and flashier colors. If you’re a lover of nude lipstick, you may have been acquainted with this shade before, but for those who haven’t, let me introduce you two.
Belle De Jour is a sheer, nude beige with warm undertones. It’s the particular nude that had many running to stores to purchase a tube after Kim Kardashian mentioned it was her favorite nude lipstick in an interview a few years back.
I have many nude lipsticks, but not all of them are flattering on me. I think one of the main keys to wearing nude lipstick (aside from finding the right nude for your skintone) is finding a shade and formula that isn’t going to erase your lips, but slightly lighten them a couple of shades. I know we all love pigment in the makeup world, but when it comes to wearing a lipstick shade that’s lighter than your lips, lots of pigmentation can lead to a very unflattering result. (Hey, Is that milkshake on your lips?)
A Subtle Nude
I love that Belle De Jour isn’t your average chalky nude. It doesn’t make me look ill or washed out. It’s funny how your coloring really plays a factor in the way certain colors appear. Without a tan (NC15-20), this color looks too orange on my lips – pinker nudes work better on my lighter skin. When I’m NC30-40, the pinky beige tones come out more, and I like it so much more.
- The texture is very creamy and smooth
- The color is sheer, but buildable
- The finish is shiny
- Flattering on tan skin, and those with yellow/golden/olive undertones
- Might not be flattering on some complexions – specifically those who can’t typically wear warm shades with yellow/orange undertones
- The lasting power isn’t the best, and due to it’s creaminess, it’s possible to go through a tube quickly if you re-apply several times a day
- Accentuates dryness, as most nude colors do