MAC Staunchly Stylish Pro Longwear Lip Pencil
MAC Staunchly Stylish Pro Longwear Lip Pencil ($19.50) is a soft, rosy-beige long-wearing and transfer-proof lip pencil with a creamy, “fluid-like” texture that glides to the lips with rich, saturated color.
Lip liner is one of those things that I neglect to use every day, even though I prefer the look of my lips with lip liner. I suppose it’s mainly a convenience thing – I like a simple daily routine, and most of the time I just apply what I find is necessary. I do love lip liner though, especially MAC Lip Pencils. It’s pretty much the major brand I use, with Oak, Stripdown and Subculture being my go-to shades. I became curious about their Pro Longwear line of lip pencils that launched late last year, as often times I only apply my liner in the morning and it’s gone within a couple of hours, so finding a lip liner that will last me for several hours would be wonderful!
The formula of these pencils are pretty nice. They are no doubt creamy and glide easily across the lips. The liner doesn’t tug or pull at the lips – just smooth sailing. They dry down to a budge-proof matte finish.
Alone on the lips, the pencil makes my lips look dry and crackled, as the formula really “clings” to the lips. So, I wouldn’t wear it on it’s own (or this shade anyway). I like wearing it as a base for my lipstick, or simply applied lightly on the outline of my lips and blended in. I don’t find it to be drying when combined with another lip product. I also notice that when it’s on my lips, it feels the slightest bit tacky – kind of similar to some formulas of long-wearing lipsticks.. dry, but somewhat sticky? Very minor, though.
MAC doesn’t give a length of time that these lip pencils should last, but I find that it holds up really well throughout the day. It holds up well after my morning coffee, and partly goes away with a meal (which typically would be completely gone). If I don’t eat or drink, it doesn’t budge. It’s hands down the longest wearing lip pencil I own.
My only complaint about this lip liner is that my lips seem to react to it, in that while it’s on my lips I can feel a slight burn/tingle. I don’t really notice it until I pay attention to it – that’s how faint it is, but it’s definitely there. I’ve had this problem with few lip products before.
Despite that minor flaw, I’m overall really satisfied with this lip liner and I would try additional shades in the future. Nice n Spicy looks like a nice (very similar) every day shade. For swatches of all of the shades of MAC Pro Longwear Lip Liners, check out Karlasugar.
*This post will be updated later with swatches.
- Glides easily across the lips without tugging.
- A good shade for daily wear – pairs well with most of my everyday natural pink and nude lipsticks.
- Doesn’t dry out my lips (although Temptalia found them to be drying – I didnt. Results will vary.)
- Long-lasting – lasts longer than any other lip liners I own.
- Looks a bit dry on the lips when worn alone.
- I’m not sure what ingredient it is, but I get a very mild allergic reaction to this lip liner. I can’t tell when I’m wearing other products, but when I’m wearing it alone, I can feel a light burn/tingle.
- It’s a bit expensive for a lip liner. A standard MAC lip liner costs $15 and contains more product than the Pro Longwear Lip Liner which is $19.50.
Price: $19.50, MAC.