Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles Concealer
Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles Concealer ($9.99) is a super-concentrated and pigmented liquid concealer combined with goji berry and haloxyl to help erase the appearance of dark circles and puffiness around the eyes. It has a unique tube design in that when you twist the top, product will be released in the round, squishy applicator sponge.
Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles Concealer is available in (6) shades: Fair, Light, Medium, Honey, Neutralizer and Brightener. Although the neutralizer shade can be used on it’s own, it’s also recommended for extreme dark circles to apply underneath your regular concealer for maximum coverage. The brightener shade is pink based used to brighten up areas of the eyes and face.
I was conflicted which shade to purchase. For reference, I have medium skin with warm undertones (MAC NC35 coloring currently). Fair and Light looked too light for me, and Medium looked too dark. So, I ended up with Neutralizer.
Neutralizer is a light peachy yellow color. It seems to apply slightly lighter than it looks in the tube, and it’s a little too light for me, but works fine if I blend a little foundation on top. (See swatches at the end of this post.) Medium would’ve probably been a better match for me.
You have to twist the tube several times to get it going at first and thereafter a small amount is dispersed with each twist. You can apply it to your undereyes with the sponge directly, or you can wipe the product off with your finger to apply or wipe the product off with a concealer brush. I like using it directly from the tube, as I think the sponge is the funnest part of using this product!
Here’s how it looks with my skin moisturized applied over my foundation. (you can see it looks much better)
Holy Concealer! I applied too much in this shot, but I wanted to show you the sponge applicator near my eye for scale.
I find that it holds up really well throughout the day without fading.
Overall, I like this concealer as the coverage is very good and I think it’s just an overall fun product to apply. I love the little sponge and although it might not be so hygienic, I don’t mind. I wish the product itself was a little creamier and had a more natural finish. But I still think from the many drugstore concealers I’ve tried, this is one of the better ones. I think it’s also a good concealer if you’re going for the light under eye/Kim K. concealer look.
- Great high medium to full coverage
- Easy and fun to apply
- Highlights and brightens the under-eyes
- Blends well
- Lightweight – doesn’t look or feel heavy
- Can have the tendency to look dry under the eyes – make sure to moisturize prior. Because of this, it might not work the best for those with very dry under eyes or for those with lots of fine lines. (Results will of course vary though!)
- Sets quickly and after it sets it can be difficult to work with
- Not the best color selection, especially for those with dark skin
- The sponge applicator isn’t completely hygienic and it can be difficult to clean
- If you twist too much product, lots can get wasted
- You don’t get a lot of bang for your buck! After using this concealer for a week, 1/4 of tube is already gone!